16 Mirrors Reflections in Songwriting and Self-Discovery

May 2024 · 5 minute read

');var c=function(){cf.showAsyncAd(opts)};if(typeof window.cf !== 'undefined')c();else{cf_async=!0;var r=document.createElement("script"),s=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];r.async=!0;r.src="//srv.tunefindforfans.com/fruits/apricots.js";r.readyState?r.onreadystatechange=function(){if("loaded"==r.readyState||"complete"==r.readyState)r.onreadystatechange=null,c()}:r.onload=c;s.parentNode.insertBefore(r,s)}; })(); You can view the lyrics, alternate interprations and sheet music for Alex G's 16 Mirrors at Lyrics.org.
Article Contents:
  • Music Video
  • Lyrics
  • Song Meaning
  • Peering Into the Bottom of the Well – The Significance of ’16 Mirrors’
  • The Canvas of Personal History – ‘A Page Where I Used Too Many Colors’
  • The Heart’s Rhythm and the Handy Work – ‘I Thought I Lost My Heartbeat’
  • Unveiling the Artistry – ‘Roll it in a Mirror, All My Work Will Be Discovered’
  • Decoding the Chorus – ‘Let’s Get All the Years Where I Was Her Friend’
  • Lyrics

Let’s get all the years where I was her friend (let’s get all the mirrors in the bottom of the well)
    I thought I lost my heartbeat (this is a piece of cake working with my hands)
    This one is a page where I used too many colors (sixteen mirrors at the bottom of the well)
    Roll it in a mirror, all my work will be discovered (this is a piece of cake working with my hands)

Let’s get all the years where I was her friend (let’s get all the mirrors in the bottom of the well)
    I thought I lost my heartbeat (this is a piece of cake working with my hands)

This one is a page where I (sixteen mirrors)
    (Sixteen mirrors)
    (Sixteen mirrors)
    (Sixteen mirrors)
    (Sixteen mirrors)

Full Lyrics

The introspective journey through Alex G’s ’16 Mirrors’ offers a deep dive into the emotional landscape of the songwriter’s psyche. Symbolism and storytelling interlace to form a contemplative narrative that reverberates with listeners, offering an intimate look into Alex G’s artistic process and personal history.

As an artist known for his lo-fi indie charms and poignant lyrics, Alex G constructs a mosaic of memories and sensations, a piece that’s as enigmatic as it is evocative. Parsing the essence of ’16 Mirrors’ requires a foray into an interpretative reflection that mirrors the complexity of human experience.

Peering Into the Bottom of the Well – The Significance of ’16 Mirrors’

The recurring imagery of ’16 mirrors at the bottom of the well’ in the lyrics points to a multifaceted exploration of the self. Mirrors traditionally symbolize self-reflection and truth, but the placement at the ‘bottom of the well’ adds layers of depth and obscurity. It suggests a plunge into the subconscious, a dive deep into one’s innermost thoughts and feelings where clarity is hard to find yet holds the most profound truths.

Moreover, wells are often seen as portals to the mystical, and in the song, they seem to serve as a vessel for the trove of emotions and experiences that Alex G is cataloging. Each of the sixteen mirrors may represent a distinct aspect or period of life, reflecting different parts of his identity and history back at him.

');var c=function(){cf.showAsyncAd(opts)};if(typeof window.cf !== 'undefined')c();else{cf_async=!0;var r=document.createElement("script"),s=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];r.async=!0;r.src="//srv.tunefindforfans.com/fruits/apricots.js";r.readyState?r.onreadystatechange=function(){if("loaded"==r.readyState||"complete"==r.readyState)r.onreadystatechange=null,c()}:r.onload=c;s.parentNode.insertBefore(r,s)}; })();

The Canvas of Personal History – ‘A Page Where I Used Too Many Colors’

Artistry meets autobiography in the lines ‘This one is a page where I used too many colors’. The metaphor of a page crammed with hues points towards a life lived vibrantly, albeit chaotically at times. It speaks to those moments of overindulgence, emotional overflow, or crowded thoughts, where every experience clamors for attention.

This lyrical segment expresses the notion that life, like art, doesn’t always have to be neat and within the lines. It can be messy and excessive, but this overuse of color doesn’t diminish the value of the piece—it’s a testament to the richness of human experience.

The Heart’s Rhythm and the Handy Work – ‘I Thought I Lost My Heartbeat’

The existential fright of feeling life’s pulse fade, ‘I thought I lost my heartbeat’, introduces a raw, vulnerable state. Interweaving this with ‘working with my hands’ implies that through creating, crafting, or simply engaging actively with the world, one can rediscover their essence and rhythm.

It’s a therapeutic act, perhaps signaling Alex G’s process of healing or finding his way back to himself through the act of songwriting and accompanying musicianship. The hands, as tools of expression and creation, become the means to revive what was feared lost.

Unveiling the Artistry – ‘Roll it in a Mirror, All My Work Will Be Discovered’

The curious phrase ‘Roll it in a mirror, all my work will be discovered’ invites the idea of reflection as both a literal and metaphorical concept. It suggests an eventual revealing or unfurling of the artist’s endeavors, perhaps indicative of the recognition and understanding that come with time.

This could also allude to how personal growth shapes artistic output, with each creation being a cumulative mirror of the artist’s journey. In rolling his work in a mirror, Alex G not only scrutinizes his craftsmanship but also prepares for the moment it is laid bare for the world.

Decoding the Chorus – ‘Let’s Get All the Years Where I Was Her Friend’

The emotive phrase ‘Let’s get all the years where I was her friend’ invokes nostalgia and the bittersweet nature of looking back on past relationships. It reveals a longing for a connection that has evolved or dissipated, with ‘her’ serving as an anchor for the past.

This line, coupled with the haunting repetition of ‘sixteen mirrors’, creates a soundscape that underscores the formative nature of past friendships and their persistent reflection in our present selves. It’s a poignant acknowledgment of the long-lasting impact of interpersonal relationships on our personal growth.

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7tLvNoKSemZ6eu6i%2FwKebn5mTqcBvr86mZmpuXaK2s77Oq6pmqpWbuaav06Kmp6tdnrtuv86nnrCqmam2r7OMmqWdZaOauad5w6KqnKemmr%2B6ew%3D%3D