6 Reasons Your Makeup Is Separating and What to Do About It

May 2024 ยท 1 minute read

You Didn't Prep Your Skin

Regardless of skin type, skin prep is perhaps the most important step in perfecting your base.

This starts with skin texture, so Seropian says exfoliation is a strong place to start. "Sometimes all we need is a nice Hydrafacial" to send dead skin packing, she says. "Once a week, right after I get out of the shower, I [like to] grab a soft towel and gently scrub my skin. You'd be shocked at how much dead skin comes off. It's gross but also super satisfying."

Once your skin is clean and happy, Fortier emphasizes the importance of using a primer that works with your skin. "I recommend Crunchi's Smart Primer ($50) because it is high performing and formulated for all skin types," she says

"[Makeup can separate when] the skin is not properly prepped with a moisturizer and primer that works for the specific skin type," adds Collier. "My personal favorite 2-in-1 moisturizer and primer that works for all skin types is the Vitamin Enriched Face Base by Bobbi Brown ($99)."

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7o8XRnaCeZpOkunDDx7JkoqtdosZuucCknK6oXaiysa3RmquippdivK95zLJkn5mTmnp4gJdsb2pp