11 Fascinating Facts About Rufus Sewell

May 2024 ยท 2 minute read

Some fans might be surprised to learn Rufus Sewell considers humorous roles his bread and butter. "I'm a comic actor, that's what I actually am. Everything else is a stretch," he shared with the AP (via WPVI-TV). In 2001's "A Knight's Tale," one of Sewell's earliest films, he showcases his sarcastic wit playing the villainous Count Adhemar. The New York Times wrote at the time, "Rufus Sewell steals the picture."

Asked if he would do a straightforward, goofy comedy picture, the actor told NPR, "It's the one thing that I like doing the most, and I'm probably the best at ... So yes, actually, it's my bag completely, I just don't get to do it very often." Sewell has played his share of rom-com rascals over the years, including his turn as a struggling actor in the 1998 film "The Very Thought of You." Most notably, he starred alongside Cameron Diaz and his real-life ex-girlfriend Kate Winslet in "2006's "The Holiday," a film The Daily Beast ranks as one of "The Best Christmas Movies of All Time."

Sewell said humor was one of the things that attracted him to "The Diplomat." Speaking to Collider, the actor explained he was drawn to the funny, complicated connection between his character, a former ambassador, and his wife, titular star Keri Russell. "It's this political intrigue, but with a naturally occurring screwball dynamic in this relationship," he said. 

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7r7XCpKCsr5mbwW%2BvzqZmampobX10hY6fmJyso2K%2FtrLUrGSsnaeaua17